GenCyber CyberHoops Summer Camp
Innovation Tech Academy is honored to host, for the second consecutive year, the 2024 GenCyber CyberHoops Summer Camp for middle and high school students (Grades 6-12). This in-person camp is scheduled for July 15-19, 2024. The camp teaches cybersecurity concepts using interactive and fun basketball activities.
The 2024 GenCyber Student CyberHoops Camp is FREE and funded jointly by the National Security Agency and the National Science Foundation. All middle and high school students from South Florida are eligible to apply. Special priority will be given to students from underrepresented groups in cybersecurity (Hispanics, African-Americans, and women).
GenCyber CyberHoops Goals and Concepts
- Provide a curriculum that uses participants' baseline of cybersecurity knowledge for students in the 6th through 12th grades
- Teach cybersecurity fundamentals including GenCyber concepts and principles using basketball analogies and various interactive tech tools
- Expose students to cyber wellness training and guidelines
- Discuss scenario-based ethical issues regarding cybersecurity
- Mentor students on the different cybersecurity disciplines regarding academic and career pathways
- Facilitate a safe and fun environment to learn about cybersecurity and play basketball
- Empowered Learner: Students are able to understand the fundamental concept of technology, specifically cybersecurity and demonstrate the ability to choose activities, use and understand the GenCyber concepts and principles and are able to apply their knowledge of cybersecurity.
- Knowledge Constructor: Students build knowledge by actively exploring real-world cybersecurity issues and problems, developing ideas and pursuing answers and solutions.
- Computational Thinker: Students break cybersecurity problems into component parts, extract key information, and develop descriptive models to understand the issues pertaining to cybersecurity.
- Digital Citizen: Students manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online.
- The GenCyber Cybersecurity Concepts: Defense in Depth, Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability, Thinking like an Adversary, and Keeping it Simple
- Basketball Capture the Flag challenge
- Cybersecurity Tool Exploration Lab (Raspberry Pi and Linux)
- Academic and Career Pathways in Cybersecurity
- Orientation (July 1, 2024) Online through Zoom
- Camp (July 15-19, 2024) In Person
- Monday - Friday (July 15-19) from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Breakfast and Lunch are included
- Monday - Thursday, in class activities and basketball practice sessions
- Friday is an all day Basketball Capture the Flag Challange
The 2024 application for the GenCyber Student CyberHoops Summer Camp is now available!
- Must be a student from 6th grade to 12 grade in South Florida.
- Be able to participate for the full week of camp in addition to self-guided remote pre- and post-camp activities
Each applicant needs to submit:
- The online application form.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher.
- A 250- 500 word essay explaining why you are interested in attending the camp.
- If selected, a parental consent form will be required. A parental consent form will be sent to the provided parent/guardian's email address.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Students from underrepresented groups in cybersecurity (minority and females) are encouraged to apply and will have priority.
No previous experience in cybersecurity is necessary.
There are only 30 spots open for applicants.
Applications are due by June 2, 2023
Each student will receive:
- Camp T-shirt
- Camp Drawstring Sport Pack
- Water Bottle
- Charge It Up Tech Kit (Cellphone charger)
- 8GB USB Flash Drive
- GenCyber CyberHoops 5" Mini Rubber Basketball
- Cybersecurity textbook